Monday, July 7, 2014

How I Became a Blogger {Part 3}



So, while blogging became a necessity for my writing career, it also became simplified.  I don't have an editing schedule full of junk just to keep my numbers up.  I don't write just to write.  All that ever did was boost my rank, nothing else.  Seems like a boosted rank would help, but if your content doesn't have a focus or niche, no one wants to work with you.

I left my Wordpress work behind and started fresh on Blogger with a much easier upkeep and way less headache.  I felt sad, but good a the same time.  It was the right decision at the time and has worked out for me since.

Realizing that my blog is more of a resume/profile to highlight my work was the "aha" moment that I needed.  It focused my work and it also shifted my way of thinking.  I finally, kind of, realized what those other people were talking about when they said that they had created streams of income for themselves.  I started to understand how it could be done without becoming overwhelmed.

My blog is like a pond or lake.  I began creating streams that flow from and to my blog.  It's not necessarily about my blog at all.  Some things aren't even related, but it gives people a place to get to know me in relation to the relationship we are cultivating.

My blog, Local Girl, is much more trafficked than my personal blog, Worthington Lower.  It get more hits and the posts are more about helping people in my area with a problem, ie, planning the weekend, where to by the best produce, where the 4th of July fireworks are being held, etc...  While it doesn't have my personal touch like WL, it is connected to a popular local website that helps drive traffic to me.  I link my personal blog for anyone who  may want to read more about me, but Local Girl is the "money maker" if I were to claim one.

My business through It Works! Global makes more money regularly than any of my blogging.  I struggled for a bit with whether I wanted to link the two at all.  I didn't want my blog to sound "sales-y," but I do believe in and use the products regularly and I believe that you will be better for it if you try them.  They are a large part of my life, so that is why I think it fits.  And other than my sidebar ad, I can count the number of times I have mentioned them on one hand.  I only talk about It Works! if it relates to what I am already writing about, but it gives me the possible outlet for talking about it more if I want.

Affiliate marketing is also a great way to create streams of income.  If you have been here or reading any other blog, you will have noticed the hyperlinks or images that link to products.  For example, I participate in a few ebook bundle sales throughout the year.  These are books that I have purchased or read and I endorse because I think the information could be useful to others like me.  The posts disclose (as by law) that I am endorsing something that I will earn money on at the end.

These are just a few of the things I do to create income.  A few more ideas to come :)

How I became a Blogger {Part 1}
How I became a Blogger {Part 2}

     Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-34326293-1