Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Terrible" Two's, Three's and Four's: This Mama is Tired

photo credit:  jinterwas
These last few months have been a challenge and the challenge has not been the new baby.

They claim that the two's are "Terrible," but what they don't tell you is that the 3's and 4's are worse.

Yes, a 2 year old can give you a run for your money.  They are completely mobile, make bigger messes and are learning how to use their words to express themselves.  It's all part of growing up and only seems "terrible" because we compare them to the adorable little babies they just were.

When they turn 3 they take all that with them and then add an attitude of entitlement to be independent..  It's wonderful that they want to be independent but they simply will not stand for someone doing something for them (unless you can't or won't, of course). 

"ICANDOIIIIIT!  LETMEEEDOIIIIIT!  NOOOODON'TDOOOOIIIIIIIT!

There is a lot of that.

Then there is the 4's.

The problem with the 4's is that they absolutely know the difference between good and bad behavior, they know right from wrong and they show signs of maturation.  It lulls you into a false sense of security.  You think you are finally getting somewhere and then BAM!

I have a 3 and 4 (almost 5) year old.  And I swear to you, they tag team.  If one isn't going off, the other is.
And the behavior has escalated since bringing Nemo home.  I know that it is a natural process when the balance shifts in a home, but I am worn out!

I have been feeling very defeated.  My little baby is healthy, happy and thriving but I feel like my other two hate me most of the time.  It seems like all I do is discipline, and really it's a team effort between my husband and I.  He takes them on for a little bit and then I step in and vice versa.  Are we doing this right?  Are we bad parents?  I know it runs through my mind on a daily basis.  I needed encouragement.

I had no idea what or if to write this morning and I decided to just browse my reader to see what the other bloggers I follow are up to.  I was met with messages from these women that seemed to be meant just for me.  Their trials and fears are my own.

I often struggle with why I write or what it is I think I'm doing here, but when I read what others have to say and it speaks so directly to my heart, I want to offer that to someone else. 

If you are feeling the same things as I am ....and these other women are...this is my offering of encouragement to you.

My Inspiration Today:

When I Need a Shelter, When I Need a Friend - Oh, Amanda
I Have No Idea What I'm Doing - Take Heart
BattleCry - Naptime Diaries 
Consistency in Parenting - The Momma Bird
Dear Moms - The Momma Bird


Please consider subscribing to Worthington Lower

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-34326293-1