Monday, May 6, 2013

Good News For Coffee Lovers

I was watching the Today Show and a segment called Health Benefits if American Coffee Addiction came on. I'm a total coffee junkie, so I love to hear good things about the stuff verses the negative that makes me feel guilty for indulging in something so addictive.

There were some interesting facts in this segment that I wanted to share because I think they are note-worthy.


The thing that surprised me the most was that a Tall medium roast from Starbucks has 250 mg of caffeine in it! It may not be a big deal to the average coffee drinker, but if you are pregnant, nursing or are sensitive to caffeine, that is a lot. The average person is recommended to stay under 500 mg per day and Pregnant women are advised to stay under 200 mg.  I allowed myself two 8oz cups each day during my second and third trimesters. I was careful about what brand and what size I drank, but I know that some people aren't aware of the differences. Interestingly enough, Seattle's Best, owned by Starbucks, has the least amount of caffeine per 12 oz cup coming in at 125 mgs.

For a long time I was under the impression that caffeine dehydrated you and I tried to drink at least one glass of water equal to the amount of coffee I consumed. I'm happy to announce that this us no longer the rule of thumb! Now, they say coffee is hydrating. Though, I wouldn't skimp on water- it's still your best choice for many reasons.

Another interesting thing I learned is that caffeine can improve brain, kidney and digestive health.

Obviously this research isn't my own, but I am happy to pass along good news to fellow coffee lovers :)


For regular updates, please consider subscribing
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-34326293-1