Wednesday, April 23, 2014

{Jesus Calling} Our New Family Devotional

A devotional that is right for your whole family is now always easy to come by, but Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions For Kids is enjoyable for my children and myself.  I would highly recommend it to anyone with children.

It is hard to decided what Bible to get 4 and 5 years olds.  They don't respond to the baby story books, never really have, and I want to encourage them to read on their own.  I really wanted to get the kids new Bibles for Easter, but it didn't work out quite the way I planned.

I decided on one early reader Bible for the two of them to share for now, but to my surprise,the better find was a very touching devotional for us to share each night.

Devotions written as if Jesus is speaking directly to a child's heart.
Based on her original Jesus Calling, this version has been adapted in a language and fashion that kids and tweens can relate to their everyday lives. 
After many years of writing in her prayer journal, missionary Sarah Young decided to listen to God with pen in hand, writing down what she believed He was saying to her through Scripture. Others were blessed as she shared her writings, until people all over the world were using her devotionals.  They are written from Jesus' point of view, thus the title Jesus Calling.  It is Sarah's fervent prayer that our Savior may bless readers, and now young readers, with His presence and His peace in ever deeper measure.




We have begun reading Jesus Calling each night before bed and they seem to really like the messages.  It is written like a conversation with God and it is put into terms that they understand.  We read about setting aside earthly concerns to spend time in solitude with God and they were interested in the idea of "spending time" with him.  My son wanted to know if God would play Hide and Seek.  I told him God would always win, lol.  He said he didn't mind :)

I feel ill equipped to handle many of my children's questions and comments about God and Jesus.  I am always looking for resources that will give them a new perspective on faith.  I often begin reading something new to them or look on the internet for answers and it's  funny how the topics that I am most afraid to approach have been thought through and described so well be someone out there and I think, "well, that was easy!"  I know the stuff, but it has been so long since it was new to me that I fear what I might say that is overwhelming or maybe even not enough.

I think I was lead to that store to find this book.

I am not affiliated with this book or author in any way.  I simply love the book :)

  • Please consider subscribing 
    Enter your email address:


    Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-34326293-1