|photo credit: Khairil Zhafri |
Knock-You-Naked Brownies are an original recipe from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. They reminded me of a brownie version of the 7 Layer cookie, so I decided to add a few things to make the transformation complete. Really rich, but super delicious!
- 1 stick butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1/3 plus 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- One 18.5-ounce box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 60 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips1/3 cup chopped coconut
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Begin by pouring 1/3 cup evaporated milk into a bowl with the cake mix. Add the melted butter and the chopped pecans. Mix the ingredients together
- Divide the dough in half down the middle. Press half of it into the bottom of the prepared pan to make the first brownie layer. Bake until slightly set, 8 to 10 minutes. Then remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the brownie layer is baking, in a double boiler (or glass bowl set over a bowl of simmering water) combine the caramels and the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Stir occasionally until the caramels are totally melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour the caramel mixture over the first baked layer, spreading so it's evenly distributed. Sprinkle the chocolate chips, the butterscotch chips and the coconut over the top.
- Next, on a clean surface or a sheet of waxed paper, press the remaining dough into a square shape slightly smaller than the baking pan. Carefully set it on top of the chocolate chips. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the brownies cool to room temperature. Cover the pan and refrigerate the brownies for several hours to allow them to set.
- When you're ready to serve them sprinkle generously with the powdered sugar and cut them into large rectangles before removing from the pan.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing :)