Thursday, January 24, 2013

Recipe: Oat Bran Breakfast Cookies

I want to share a recipe with you that I am totally loving!  If you like granola or granola bars, this is right up your ally :)


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups bran flakes, crushed (or substitute multi-grain flakes)
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 2 tablespoons wheat germ
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup skim milk powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup raisins 

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Crush cereal, and place in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add oatmeal, wheat germ, and cinnamon; set aside.
3) In a medium mixing bowl, combine yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, honey, beaten egg, and skim milk powder: mix well to combine.
4) Add baking soda and baking powder to the yogurt mixture. Mix well.
5) Gradually add the cereal and oatmeal mixture to the yogurt mixture and stir well.
6) Add raisins and mix to combine.
7) Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the batter and roll it into a ball. Place onto a non-stick cookie sheet, or lined with baking parchment, and lightly flatten.
8) Bake at 350°F for 15-18 minutes. Makes 24 cookies.

I found this recipe on Food.com when I did a search for breakfast bars last year.  I was making them every weekend for Hubby and I to take for breakfast every morning.  We fell out of the habit, but this weekend I was really craving granola and I used to make them together because they use many of the same ingredients and I could easily whip up a batch of each in a short amount of time.

When I make them, I omit the fruit.  I don't like the texture of dried fruit.  Sometimes I add peanut butter for extra protein and flavor or pumpkin pie spice for variety.  It is a really versatile recipe with so many possibilities.  And it's filling!  Two cookies ( I prefer them ready to eat rather than having to cut them out of a pan) and a cup of coffee and I am good to go.

For regular updates, please consider subscribing
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-34326293-1