Wednesday, May 7, 2014

9 Ways to use Twitter as a Tool to Drive Traffic and Build Community

Twitter is a necessary evil in the online world that I happen to enjoy...now.


image credit: Robert Romania (HiticasOvi)

I have been a member since I started my blog in 2010, but I never really grasped how to use it as a tool to get people to notice my writing. I posted random stuff and I fed my posts over once a day. It worked to a certain degree but I never saw direct growth from it.

In the last few months I have been experimenting with social media strategy and I am happy to say that I have seen a very real increase in traffic to my blog, subscribers and engagement on Twitter.

Here are 9 ways to Engage on Twitter:
  • Post frequently:  at least 3x daily
  • Experiment with times:  I've found my best engagement in the AM, but that may not be the same for everyone.
  • Schedule:  I am currently using Hootsuit to schedule various accounts and plan ahead.
  • Thank you's/shout outs:  I mention new followers at least 1x/day and shout out to people who favorite my tweets or mention me.
  • #Hashtags:  Hashtags have been huge, not only for people finding my content, but for helping me find people and groups that I want to intentionally interact with.
  • Post old content:  If it's still relevant, it should still be in rotation.
  • Post same link multiple times and ways:  I try to post new content at different times through the day but say something different.  "Looking for a delicious salad recipe?" " Check out this salad I just made!"  "How to use up all those extra walnuts after baking."  "How to make the Ultimate Waldorf salad."
  • Retweet:  NOT by hitting the retweet button.  Expand the tweet, type RT @______ then copy and paste the tweet.  It gets way more interaction!
  • Follow:  Use hashtags to search for topics and then follow people that share your interest and/or industry.  
Do you have any other tips for us?

     Follow on Bloglovin
  • Please consider subscribing 
    Enter your email address:


    Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-34326293-1